Entertaining Food Recipes Seasonal
Gluten Free Dairy Free Chocolate Bourbon Pecan PieNovember 24, 2016
With my dairy and wheat allergies I often miss out on some of the best holiday dishes-especially dessert. This year I decided I wasn't...
- 1 Wholly Wholesome Gluten Free / Dairy Free Pie Shell - 9"
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance Vegan Butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 4 oz dairy free dark chocolate chips (Ex: Enjoy Life)
- 1 cup pecans (1/2 cup chopped, 1/2 whole for the top)
Bourbon Whipped Cream Ingredients (Optional)
- 1 can (14 oz) coconut cream, chilled
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp agave
- 1 tsp bourbon
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Take GF pie out of freezer and cover outer crust with aluminum foil. Poke bottom of pie shell and sides with fork.
- Combine sugar, corn syrup, and vegan butter in sauce pan on medium heat until butter melts. Take off the burner and allow to cool to just warm or room temperature.
- Meanwhile, whisk together vanilla, salt, eggs, and bourbon.
- With your slightly cooled sugar syrup, slowly pour into your egg mixture-constantly whisking so it doesn't cook the eggs. Mix well.
- Mix in the chocolate and 1/2 cup of chopped pecans. Pour into pie shell, leaving a tiny bit of room at the top. Arrange whole pecans on the surface in whatever design brings you joy (I went classic).
- With outer crust still covered in aluminum, bake pie for 45 minutes before taking the foil off. Cook for another 10 minutes, or until set and golden on top.
- Cool and cover in plastic wrap. This pie is best made the day before so it has time to set after cooling (plus it makes the holidays that much less stressful if you have one less thing you have to make the day of).
- Serve with dairy free whipped cream (Optional)
Whipped Cream Instructions
- Chill coconut cream 24hrs in advance, or at least 6hrs. When it cools the fatty, creamy part will rise to the top.
- Separate the creamy, hardened top part and add the vanilla, agave, and bourbon in a electric mixer OR food processor or blender if you don't have a mixer.
- In electric mixer: beat until stiff peaks start to form. In blender or food processor: fill a large plastic bag with ice and surround the processor while blending the cream mixture until it becomes thick and stable.
- Tips: Best if served right away. If not, immediately store in the refrigerator and keep in mind you may need to shortly re-whip it by hand before serving.
What is your favorite holiday dessert?
Do you have any allergies or family members you have to get creative in the kitchen to accommodate?
Do you like to add a bit of booze to your dishes? (Takes a whole new meaning for secret ingredient to me!)
Hope you enjoy!